Friday, February 18, 2011

Rabbit Island, Cambodia

I went to Rabbit Island for the long weekend. It's an extremely popular destination with both Khmer and expats. It's (I believe) the closest island off the shore from Kep, about 30 mins by ferry. Upon arrival you see small huts lining the beach, all of which are basically the same (very rustic with electricity only from 6-10pm).

It's very relaxing with beatiful beaches and lots of restaurants on the water, unlike Bamboo island which has only two very (very!) basic restaurants. It's definitely reassuring to know that in case of an emergency, it wouldn't take too long to get back to the mainland.

The morning after arriving, I met a dog on the beach who (I swear!) barked at me like Lassie and then would run away and wait for me to follow him. So, of course I did. I followed him to a neighboring beach and he just kept going until I literally followed him for several hours around the entire island. It was beautiful. I was a bit scared when things were getting desolate but there were always a couple huts in the distance and fishermen nearby.


The dog I followed around the whole island.

Kep in the background.

Look carefully! A man is climbing up the tree to get coconuts. :)


Local fisherman

No comments:

Post a Comment